Thursday, July 26, 2012

For me and the barangay, Mark Caguioa is our MVP.

You still remeber this Ginebra fans?
First of all, I could've stayed silent about this. But I can't bear all the things said about Mark Caguioa. I've followed his career all through out. And I'm a die hard fan. For the Ginebra faithfuls, this is for you. I'm not the best writer out there, but who cares if you want your idol to win the highest individual honor a player can achieve? 

I'm pretty sure everyone in the barangay cheers for MC47 to win the MVP. His chances become even stronger after winning the Govs' Cup BPC Award. So why should the 4th leading contender win the award? Is it really about stats? If that's the basis, then Kobe Bryant (who is also my idol) could've won 10 MVPs right now. But he's got ONE. Does the same apply to the PBA? Hell YES. It's the same. In fact, PBA mimicked the NBA. Look at the name. It says all. 

Mark Caguioa is my MVP. And it will never change. Call me bias, because I really am. For the barangay, he's the second coming of Robert Jaworski, who by the way won his MVP at age 32. Isn't it fitting? MC47 put everything on the court. And just like what he said on Sunday, "you don't have to ask for it, but you need to work for it." That's what he did. He's not aspiring for any individual awards. I understand. But for your fans, we're salivating!

Mark Caguioa is my MVP. Wait, did I write that statement already? Yes. Well in fact I wrote and said that last year. The other year. And the other other year. I'm calling it highway robbery, boxing style. For all the things he's done, like "setting the league on fire" for a decade now, he's never been rewarded an MVP award. Media doesn't love him, they say. But after I saw the voting tally for the BPC race, where he got 34 first place votes out of 35, I think they also knew it's time. I just don't know if Mark will get the same in the MVP race. 

And for the Gary David fans, we understand your reasons. Everyone is entitled to your own opinion. I just think we got the better chance because of better team standings and the fact Mark won back to back BPCs, 2 out of 3 in the season. 

Don't forget, Gary David exploded only this year although I thought he was also robbed of the multiple all star appearances because of his team's lack of popularity. I also thought he caught everyone by surprise (but I know he's a gifted and natural scorer). Let's be honest. Before, he was not defended like a superstar. Does the same apply to Caguioa? NO. Every team scouts him. And since day one, teams got their defensive game plans focused on him. I hope everyone gets my point. 

Caguioa did not have the best season of his career stats wise but he played the most consistent basketball I've ever seen him play together with his more developed on court IQ and leadership. 

We don't care what the haters say. Because for me and the barangay, Mark Caguioa is our MVP. 

2 comments: